Saturday, January 17, 2009

Best Homemade Biscuits Ever!


I love Biscuits and after a few intentional and accidental changes to some familiar biscuit recipes, I decided that this is my favorite very own variation!

I have a big family so I always make big batches of food! This one makes about 30 biscuits but you can cut it in half.

Best Homemade Biscuits Ever
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbs baking powder
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
mix all above ingredients
then add:
1 cup chilled butter
cut butter into dry ingredients using a pastry cutter
then add:
1 1/3 cup buttermilk
mix with a fork, then knead dough a couple of times on a lightly floured counter top.
roll dough out to about 1/2 inch thick. use a circle cookie cutter (or on Valentine's I like to use a heart cookie cutter and turn the biscuits into little Strawberry Shortcakes for dessert)
place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 450 degrees for about 10 to 12 minutes. makes about 30 biscuits

*make your own buttermilk using your food storage non fat dry milk (powdered milk)!!!!
I bake a lot, and whenever a recipe calls for milk I almost always use my food storage milk so I can keep it rotating. I usually keep on hand in my fridge a batch of cold milk made from dry milk. In fact one of my friends mixes equal parts fresh whole milk with batch of made up dry milk and her kids never could tell the difference, so I tried it once and sure enough the kids never said a word! They just drank it like it was normal milk!!!!

It's 2/3 cup non fat dry milk with 1 quart cold water
So to make the Buttermilk I start before I start the recipe. I use a glass measuring cup and pour 1 Tbs of white vinegar in it then pour the made up batch of milk over it until it reaches the 1 1/3 cup mark, then let it set for a few minutes while mixing other ingredients, then add to recipe.

2 comments:

Anderson Family said...

yummmmm... those look really good, Hanne, maybe I shouldn't have checked them out before I ate this morning, quick, I need the recipe!!!

Unknown said...

Delicious and easy to make! I love that the recipe makes a huge amount! They freeze well too!!!