Friday, March 27, 2009

Polishing my Antique Piano

Just before we moved into our house 5 years ago, I really wanted to have a piano in our new house!!! I didn't know how I could possibly afford one, but I kept my hopes up. Within a week my sister-in-law told me that her friends family was trying to sale their antique piano. So I went to see it at their house and fell in love at first sight!!!!! They sold it to me for $300, which was a steal for the great condition it was in. I had it delivered and I just think it is beautiful!!! Over the past years of having it, it has gotten dirty and gotten a few scratches to add to the 100 years of use and abuse it has gone through. But the worst was when my little ones thought it was ok to scratch big letters into the side and front of the piano that I never took a photo of!!!! I've just lived with the scratches for over a year and finally this week I thought there must be some solution! So I went searching online of course for a way to fix the scratches. I found several different ideas like rubbing pecans into the scratch which didn't work very well, so my next experiment was to make a solution of equal parts lemon juice and canola oil and rub on the scratches. WOW! This idea worked so well, I ended up polishing the entire piano with it!!!!! Kind of a homemade "Pledge" solution. I am so happy with the results and the look!!!!!!! I think my 130 year old piano is looking better than it has in a very long time!!!!Happy Me!!!!!
BEFORE



BEFORE (My little musicians)


BEFORE



AFTER!!!!! (this is where the Big letters were scratched in and now they are GONE!!!!)

1 comment:

Sallybee said...

My goodness - that's a super idea! Who would have imagined you could create your own "solution" to the problem. I love the picture of the kids - may I use it in my piano book I'm writing? I'm planning to blog my book this weekend.