Friday, April 24, 2009

Homemade Pizza

When we lived in Colorado eight years ago, there was a little locally owned Italian restaurant we loved eating at. I can't remember the name of it, but the food was so good! One of our favorite things to order was the Shrimp Alfredo Pizza! Ever since then, we've been on the look out for a similar pizza and have had no luck!!! Finally, recently, I decided to just figure it out in my head and make it!!!!! So guess what, it was so easy and so good and only took 30 minutes until we were sitting down eating this Pizza with Salad and fresh Lemonade !!!!!


What you need for Shrimp Alfredo Pizza:
pizza dough (recipe below)
Sauce (recipe below)
cooked shrimp (I used about a half pound of large shrimp for each large pizza)
Mozzarella cheese
ground pepper


I just thought this one up with a little inspiration from a variety of pizzas we've eaten in the past!
What you need for the Specialty Pizza:
pizza dough
sauce
toppings:
cooked shrimp
1 vine ripe tomato sliced
about 1/4 cup chopped fresh spinach
4 slices of bacon cut up and cooked
mozzarella cheese
gound pepper


SAUCE:
(This is my husband Johns' creation- he uses it on pasta too-Yumm!)
for two large pizzas use
3/4 cup Classico Creamy Alfredo Sauce
1/4 cup Fresh Basil Pesto Sauce (From Costco)
Mix together and spread on pizza dough


I love homemade Pesto Sauce, but when I don't have any on hand, Costco Pesto Sauce is the next best thing. It cost around $8.00 for 22 oz., but it lasts sooooo long! In fact, I freeze it in a bunch of small portions and it's ready to use whenever I need it!

Secret Restaurant Pizza Crust Recipe
(I found this recipe a while back online somewhere, don't know where)
preheat oven to 500 degrees

for 1 large pizza crust:
2 1/4 tsp. (or one .25oz packet) active dry yeast
1/4 tsp. sugar
3/4 cup 110 degree water
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt

for 2 large pizza crusts:
4 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 cups 110 degree water
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt

-Dissolve yeast and sugar in water; rest 8 minutes.
-In a separate bowl combine flour and salt
-Pour yeast mixture over flour mixture and mix well
-Turn dough onto floured surface and knead for 2 minutes
-Working from edges to the center, press dough into a 12 inch circle
-Place dough on a lightly greased pizza pan and stretch to edges
-Spread sauce over crust, then toppings, then cheese, then a little ground pepper
-Bake at 500 degrees for 8-12 minutes
-Can freeze dough!!!!-roll dough into a ball and place in a sealable freezer bag that has extra room-thaw in fridge

3 comments:

Sallybee said...

I'm excited to try this one. It looks yummy.:)

bridget {bake at 350} said...

Oh, you are making me so hungry right now!!!

Sallybee said...

Well, I made this tonight - yummy! I forgot to buy shrimp, so I used canned salmon, pieces of bacon, zucchini, green onions, red bell pepper,fresh tomato slices and brown mushrooms. The pesto/alfredo sauce was great. My whole wheat crust was thin and crusty, the white flour crust was thick and fluffy?! All delicious. Thanks for the idea.