Monday, July 27, 2009

Fry Bread

Living in New Mexico, we love eating Fry Bread. It is a Navajo tradition and is readily available just about at any public event, flea market or community activity. Sometimes we just crave it at home and love that my Mother-in-law Tina has lots of traditional New Mexico recipes up her sleeve that she has learned and mastered since moving here as a teenager in the early 70's! She lives right next door and loves cooking for people especially when they have a craving or special request. This recipe of hers is simple and fun to make for the kids. Sometime I will post more of her New Mexico recipes including green chili enchiladas, red chili enchiladas, tortillas, Mexican rice, chili rellenos, green chili stew, smothered Christmas burritos, tacos, etc. etc. etc!
It's kind of funny because growing up, my Mom use to make the most delicious flapjacks for us! They were so similar to fry bread. I think she got the tradition from her mom, my Grandma Sevey. When my Mom would bake bread, she would also save some of the dough, roll it out and fry it up and call them flapjacks. We would eat them with honey or beans and cheese, and Missy's personal favorite honey and cheese! One of my favorite childhood memories was bread baking day with my Mom and sisters!
My kids love hearing the origins of our traditions and I love that I can pass this tradition on to my kids from both sides of the family!

Fry Bread
6 cups flour
2 tsp. salt
3 tsp. baking powder
1 cup powder milk
2 ¾ cups warm water

Mix all dry ingredients
Slowly knead in warm water
Let rest a few minutes
Roll ping pong size ball dough out thin fry in very hot oil
Makes about 11/2 to 2 dozen
Serve with honey and powered sugar

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha! yes, there was a time when I liked honey and cheese. :)
that fry bread looks sooo good... I'll have to make some, soon.
Missy

Anderson Family said...

THANK YOU for this recipe, Hanne, I have craved this almost my entire pregnancy but the only time I got any was when we went to the Aloha festival months ago! I've never even thought of making it myself at home until I saw your post. I quartered the recipe since it is only me and babySara home tonight and figured I might get through 6, but not 2 dozen :). Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou!!!! Me and the baby are very happy tonight!

Sallybee said...

I finally got around to making this recipe last night - putting a yummy ground buffalo meat, chili sauce, bean mixture on the fry bread and topped with freshly made jalepeno hot sauce (I had to tone it down with more sauce as it was HOT) and grated cheese and lettuce. Yummy!

♥Mimi♥ said...

This stuff is delicious. I live near a Native American community and they make this stuff with cinnamon and sugar for a dessert but also fill it with taco goodies and call it Indian Tacos. Those things are so good!